Thursday, November 13, 2014

Suicide prevention

I know this is a little different of a post. I just feel it is an important subject and one very close to us has a family. Jesse and I both had 2 aunts all almost within of a year of each other commit suicide. One was a drug over dose and the other was a shooting. We have also had other family members attempt. Loved both of these aunts dearly and miss them every day.
                                                    So you are probably thinking why a post like this well Jesse came home let me remind you early this morning and says so we had a stand up meeting today and it was really good. So I said well what was it about and he says suicide my heart literal hurts every time I hear the word. So I said and he says it was really good and they had some interesting facts. So he brings home this booklet.
so this book is Question, persuade and refer. Ask a question safe a life. so its by Paul Quinnett PH.d. so QPR means Q= for question that and how to  question the person about suicidal thoughts. in some one you recognise may be having these thoughts  and asking the suicide question DOES NOT increase  the risk. We should be upfront with these family and friends  P= persuade and how we should persuade some one to get help we should listen to them I like what it says cause some of them may get angry with us . and may refuse the help so it says (WHEN CONFRONTING A FRIEND OR LOVED ONE WITH QPR REMEMBER THAT IT IS BETTER TO HAVE AN ANGRY FRIEND OR LOVED ONE THEN A DEAD ONE ) I feel sometimes these friends are just crying and for us to listen to them and get them the help. next one is R= Referral . They said that most cases are men that have then success of commiting suicide all though there is women also this blew me away the ages that they may think of suicide is 10 years old (a little scary I think )It says also we should treat QPR just has we do CPR meaning we can only do Cpr tell the health professions arrive same with Qpr that once they get the help you know they will be in better hands. Also we should be respectful and just let them know we are here for them. There is a video on the Mormon channel on prevention okay that will just have to be a seperate  post. So I just want everyone to be aware of this and if you have any comments or questions on where to get this info just comment here and I will give you some different links that are on here so AWARENESS begins with is all !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment